Like father, like son

“I still find it hard to believe Mother. Are we that good at persuasion? Or the world has become pliable then earlier.”

“Don't be mistaken here my dear, it's not the world but only these two. But then we should not be surprised, since ages’ love has made people do far stranger things against their better judgement, then what our partner in crime, the Finance Director and his long term partner has agreed upon.”


“Sometimes this all feels too good to be true.” 


“It is, because our job is still not complete. I was only scared of the first phase of the plan but that went well. I was worried our little kitten might satiate her appetite in one go. But she can’t have done a better job. Attacked and hurted him enough that he survived and with his survival came into existence a precedent of Leopard attack in the city. And then it is the matter of you getting into the company. We were thinking of getting you in the company, but that moron CEO himself asked for a new position to be created. And to top that he gave the responsibility to our dear lover boy.”


“But the thing is, he is not. I saw the business numbers for the past 12 years, since he has taken the top job, and the numbers are impeccable and growth numbers are better than industry average. But then I think he did all that but didn’t have a whiff about his wife’s affair, maybe he is a moron.”  


“Like father, like son.”


“Was his father also a good businessman?”


“Equal parts of goodness in doing business and being a shitty husband. It was he who started this business and along with his younger brother he scaled it up to a level, where in each room his reputation preceded him. And after both of their arrival I used to enter like an afterthought, with no one even knowing about my existence. It ached me more when I saw that in people’s eyes, seeing me just as an afterthought.”


“I didn’t know about his younger brother. Where is he now?”


“Last time when I met him it was a chance encounter. He was travelling with his wife and was on his way to some resort on north-eastern side of the country. He was as surprised as I was after seeing him after so many years. After the initial shock reduced, we started talking and it was then I came to know that the previous CEO of the company, is dead. I found an opening in that piece of information but you were quite young then. And not to mention my divorce with my second husband, your father, was still in court.” 


“We would not have needed to do all this, if my deceased father had simply honoured the court ruling on alimony.” 


“I wish he would have honoured his commitments. But no, nothing came from him towards us. Apart from blank stares of sympathy nothing good came to us even at the end.” 


“There is one good which came out - the kitten.”


“Act…actually you are right. Yes, that did come out in our favour. So, how’s your new job going?”


“It's good but it’s just getting difficult to pretend to be a Govt. Policy expert when you can’t even tell the government policy and horseshit apart.”


“Not much difference there to begin with. Just try to stall things for some time, we are close to our goal. It's a matter of a couple of weeks now, everything is in place.”


“But what after the CEO? We still have the Finance Director and CEO’s wife…”


“I won’t worry about them. I handed them a bag of bread crumbs in the beginning, and I can see the bag half empty now. Trail is getting longer and sooner or later someone will pick-up the trail. And I know that someone, who has a microphone in one hand and moral compass in another, combination which is not lethal usually but in this case it will be for our love birds.”

Comments

Popular Posts